Author Topic: RainFurrest 2015 Summary  (Read 15853 times)

Conan

• Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +44/-12
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile

I.S.T.

• E-points: +2/-1
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
Re: RainFurrest 2015 Summary
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 09:43:38 pm »
From that twitter post's replies:

Anarcho-Loser

• E-points: +10/-3
  • YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
We tried, we failed.

I.S.T.

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 02:13:05 pm »
Is... Is that a cloth diaper with shit in it? I honestly can't tell.

Conan

• ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »
https://twitter.com/unitionotter/status/647848186896347136

Don't kink-shame, guyz! There's nothing wrong with grown men leaving used diapers strewn around a parking lot. It's not hurting anybody!!

I.S.T.

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 06:28:44 pm »
And this is why I've never gone full furry. Shit like this. Ho-ly fuck.

Conan

• ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:29:18 am »
The moment the con ended, the hotel distributed what appears to be a hastily written letter chock full of grammatical errors telling attendees that the con was over, do not have room parties, and stay quiet.

https://twitter.com/cryn1/status/648377970931798017

I don't think they're happy. Con staff was apparently not told this was going to happen.

EDIT: Via /furry/:
Hotel staff has told RF higher-ups that they are to be out of there by monday at 9am, and their contract for 2016 has been revoked
That was posted prior to the letter being distributed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:13:25 am by Conan »

scribbles

• E-points: +6/-4
  • Stupid Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 01:13:13 pm »
Being disruptive to other guests in a hotel is awful behavior (esp. when you're on a quiet floor, like what happened to me Sat night). So is leaving trash out in parking lots. Those are gross and messed up things.

But I can't seem to work up the frothing lather Conan can about the first picture? Not my cup of tea, but was of an event that took place behind closed doors, specifically set aside for a puppyplay event, and was not accessible to anyone that didn't have a con badge. That photo being posted also leaves aside the question of whether or not that photo was taken with the subject's consent or if they were spoken to before or after.

And if the complaint is "all this weird kink stuff happens behind closed doors", I have to ask if you've ever actually been to RF? That's like being shocked, shocked that gambling is going on in Casablanca.

PleadingTheYiff

• E-points: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 02:00:12 pm »
As I said on IRC, it'd be funny if the Conway-led cleaning up of furry cons from kink-in-the-hallways Confurence was the outlier and this is a return to the norm.

That sure looks like a hallway outside the function space to me, which even if it was badges-only doesn't meet my definition of 'closed doors'.
Ironic usernames R us.

Conan

• ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 02:40:15 pm »
but was of an event that took place behind closed doors, specifically set aside for a puppyplay event, and was not accessible to anyone that didn't have a con badge.

Uh, take a look at that picture again. It is clearly in a hallway or lobby.

Also, for a "pup play event" there sure is a lack of other people in gear.

I think your diaper may be on too tight and it's affecting blood flow to your brain

scribbles

• Stupid Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 05:22:48 pm »
I get the furor behind people being unsanitary in public, and being loud and disruptive. But I've seen people in partials showing more skin? Like, yes, aware and consensual are mandatory, but a) this was in a place where no one without a badge could go, near b) a designated place for a meetup of that nature  and c) I still don't see if anyone pearl clutching about "oh no so horrible no one asked for this" has anything to say as to whether the picture taking in a non-public area was consensual or if anyone approached the person after this pic was taken and whether they covered up or not.

this is the same forum that had some members going "hey if you don't like it don't look at it top lol triggered" so maybe if you don't like this display... don't go? I cannot figure out who's legitimately being harmed here.

Whatever, I have gone 3 years in a row, but between inconsistent staffing, lackluster panels and activities, an increasingly-run down venue (plus loud drunk people on the quiet floor) I'm not going again.

I.S.T.

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 08:06:38 pm »
Somebody on fuckingfurries reported being there and having seen the guy walking around in the lobby like that: http://fuckingfurries.tumblr.com/post/130041374084/oh-yes-decided-to-post-this-after-i-got-the

Edit: PS, forcing your fetishes onto other people ain't cool, and that is what that asshole did.

scribbles

• Stupid Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:43:20 pm »
Whoa. Ok, that's super awful.

quantityorama

• E-points: +1/-1
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 07:19:51 am »
EDIT: Via /furry/:
Hotel staff has told RF higher-ups that they are to be out of there by monday at 9am, and their contract for 2016 has been revoked
That was posted prior to the letter being distributed.

Not true. From what I'm hearing, they very nearly lost the hotel, but they managed to talk them down. The fact that they've been there for so long without incident seems to have worked in their favor. Even the hotel seemed shocked at the level of vandalism that occurred this year, and there are rumblings that it was part of some organized effort to disrupt the convention (tho I haven't heard anything about who or why).

As for diaper guy, from what I have heard, he's somebody that was on his way to/from an adult panel and he simply did not have the good sense to throw on a pair of sweatpants and/or a robe on his way to and from the room where the event was held. But from what I'm seeing... Honestly, that's a non issue. The thing that got the con in hot water were the dirty diapers being flung on cars in the parking lot, the vandalism to the hot tub (clogged with towels), and the number of toilets in the bathrooms/fixtures/pipes that had been purposefully clogged/damaged (with diapers, if you were wondering).

As shocking as it may be, one freaky dude in a diaper is not going to get a convention kicked out of their venue. Hotels are surprisingly tolerant of bad behavior, as long as you pay your bill and don't wreck shit (especially if the event sells out not only that hotel, but every other one near it).

DJ_Izumi

• E-points: +1/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 10:38:12 am »
and there are rumblings that it was part of some organized effort to disrupt the convention (tho I haven't heard anything about who or why).

I imagine this is just furries inventing bogeymen to blame.  I find it rather hard to believe that there is an organized effort that is spending money on admission, maybe even travel if they aren't local, just to leave problematic things around a convention.  'A minority of furries being stupid because it seemed like a good idea at the time' is a LOT more plausible.

PleadingTheYiff

• E-points: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 11:57:19 am »
Not true.

"Was true, but it got fixed" is not "not true". Having said that, these things happen. AC was in a similar situation once, also brought about by a diaper party.
Ironic usernames R us.

quantityorama

• E-points: +1/-1
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 01:37:20 pm »
Not true.

"Was true, but it got fixed" is not "not true". Having said that, these things happen. AC was in a similar situation once, also brought about by a diaper party.

So far as I know their contract was never actually revoked. So no. Not true.

I imagine this is just furries inventing bogeymen to blame.  I find it rather hard to believe that there is an organized effort that is spending money on admission, maybe even travel if they aren't local, just to leave problematic things around a convention.  'A minority of furries being stupid because it seemed like a good idea at the time' is a LOT more plausible.

This is all third hand information, but apparently they (the convention and the hotel) know who was responsible. Whether it was an organized intentional effort or not is another matter. Bear in mind that a con registration isn't required for access to the hotel restrooms and parking lots, and from what I'm hearing the damage goes beyond just a few furries misbehaving (I'm hearing more damage this year than the past four years combined). But I don't know if the full extend will ever see the light of day.

Conan

• ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 03:42:09 pm »
It's much too early to argue about the semantics of the contract. RF apparently does not have solid dates for next year, so they may not have signed a contract yet (so one couldn't be 'revoked') and it's entirety possible the hotel will give them a chance but hike up their rates or impose additional requirements the con must abide by (actual security could be one) that would be cost-prohibitive.

Keep in mind what saved AC was Pittsburgh's very influential Convention and Visitors Bureau. I don't think RF is on Seattle's radar.

rodox_video

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +61/-14
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 07:37:46 pm »
Amazingly, the rumor of someone allegedly getting kicked out for drilling gloryholes in the bathroom stalls turned out not to be true. Guess it might as well have been though!
Zeriara is part of a series on Whores.

Pi

• POOR IMPULSE CONTROL
  • Cabalistic Fuckhead
  • Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +54/-12
  • <blink>yes hello</blink>
    • View Profile
    • Clan Spum userpage
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 11:45:53 pm »
for what it's worth i was at RF and didn't see a whole lot of overt diaper kink