Author Topic: Identity issues plague Weasyl  (Read 2815 times)

Conan

• Postcount ate Whippany, NJ
  • E-points: +38/-9
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
Identity issues plague Weasyl
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:59:00 pm »
It appears that Weasyl did a poor job of communicating that it's an art site for "everyone", and now that it's in beta, people are getting upset that *gasp* they're being asked to add a "furry" tag to furry art. This is, of course, a problem with some furries (for some reason) because it means that their hugbox might be invaded by normal people.

Naturally, the Assumption Machine is at full power.

if it turns into dA I'm not going there
Found out it was an "all" kinds of art site some time ago, I think it'll be going the route of full Deviantart as time goes on. With them eventually axing X-rated art.
Sorry, i don't think ill be joining this site after reading all about it :/ it seemed cool, but i had an idea it was going to turn into another "Copy of Deviantart"
Stupid asses, marketing primarily to furries and then being like "lol oops, no special treatment for you, same old crap with a new label"
Quote from:
Hm... Well I think I'll avoid this site after reading through those threads. Which is sad for me because I had actually looking forward to joining once invites were open. But if they're just trying to be a copy of dA then I think I'll pass on it.

There's a lot more where those came from.

The issues with the site's image seem to stem from things like it's mascot (which accompanies the majority of official news releases and other marketing) as well as the name, which sounds more like a Web 2.0 version of the word "Weasel" than it's intended "We + Easy + Easel". Additionally, the advertising exclusively at furry conventions led many to believe it was a "furry" site.

Will Weasyl fall into obscurity as Hardcore Furries refuse to use it? Will FA ever fucking die? Find out next time on Tales from the Furry Fandom!

Pi

• POOR IMPULSE CONTROL
  • E-points: +46/-10
  • <blink>yes hello</blink>
    • View Profile
    • Clan Spum userpage
Re: Identity issues plague Weasyl
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:04:33 am »
if it turns into dA I'm not going there
Found out it was an "all" kinds of art site some time ago, I think it'll be going the route of full Deviantart as time goes on. With them eventually axing X-rated art.
Sorry, i don't think ill be joining this site after reading all about it :/ it seemed cool, but i had an idea it was going to turn into another "Copy of Deviantart"

nevermind that FA was literally a deviantart clone ???
"we did farts.  now we do sperm.  we are cutting edge." — Theo DeRaadt

Fiz

• nice
  • Cabalistic Fuckhead
  • E-points: +13/-1
  • no stop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:40:28 am »
The issues with the site's image seem to stem from things like it's mascot (which accompanies the majority of official news releases and other marketing) as well as the name, which sounds more like a Web 2.0 version of the word "Weasel" than it's intended "We + Easy + Easel". Additionally, the advertising exclusively at furry conventions led many to believe it was a "furry" site.

When we were batting around new names for the site (it was originally called Fergal but that ended up being taken), we wanted to have a pun name and batted around the name "Easyl" at one point, however that also ended up being taken, so we went with Weasyl. And, well, might as well have a mustelid mascot to go with that name. Though it really needs to be pointed out that not everything with an animal name or animal mascot means its furry related or made by a furry, etc. (ex: Rhino Records, Darwin OS, Trix cereal, etc.)

Personally I think we didn't do as well as we should have with advertising. We should have advertised at different types of conventions and at other kind of art sites. Tumblr and Twitter are fairly neutral, furaffinity and anthrocon are not. Though considering a majority of the staff ARE furries, I see why it was advertised in places that were in their comfort zone.

When we saw people saying "it's a furry site", we corrected them. However, we can't see what everybody says so a lot was left uncorrected and the site's label was miscommunicated to a large scale to where I feel it's going to be difficult to bring in the point that it's a GENERAL social art site, but that it is certainly furry friendly.

People also seem really scared that we're going to ax out furry art entirely. That makes no sense. Why would a site staffed by a bunch of furries get rid of furry art? They think we're picking on furries by making them add a single tag. No, general species should be tagged no matter if it's furry, human, alien or a regular old animal. Nobody is getting singled out.
pee

greaseyote

• E-points: +5/-13
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »
I think this just reflects a lot of the insecurities within the fandom.

Basically, if it's not a furry site, then it's not part of our secret club, and people who don't know the secret handshake will get in, which will lead to my mom finding out that I have a fursuit and that I fuck in it... I think that's the logic behind these people. And it's ridiculous. I hope the Weasyl staff doesn't take them too seriously.

I think you should just ignore the people who call it a furry site, as much as you should ignore the people who say it isn't furry enough.

And that's what I really like about Weasyl, it's the a furry-oriented site but it's about whatever you (the user) wants it to be. I like that because most of the time when I hang out with furries, we end up talking about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with furry.

RickyBobbyMew

• STOP POSTING
  • E-points: +0/-8
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:40:03 pm »
I think this just reflects a lot of the insecurities within the fandom.

Basically, if it's not a furry site, then it's not part of our secret club, and people who don't know the secret handshake will get in, which will lead to my mom finding out that I have a fursuit and that I fuck in it... I think that's the logic behind these people. And it's ridiculous. I hope the Weasyl staff doesn't take them too seriously.

I doubt anyone is actually afraid of their parents finding them on the site =P

That makes too little sense, even for furries.

Even though FA is an art site, people obviously use it as a social networking tool. Furries are going to want a social networking site with other furries. There was an attempted furry Facebook (I forget the name) but it failed miserably. Unless something similar comes around people actually use, that's an important deciding factor when people look for a replacement for FA.

If you're looking to make a general art site that's cool. I think that's the main reason people are complaining though, whether they state it or not. As with the ubiquitous logic you spoke, furries don't want their parents finding out they are into X, Y and Z. It's becoming increasingly harder and harder these days to separate your online social circles, creating the necessity for a separate online community than say, Facebook. Furries are going to have a preference for such a social community if it's specific to the subculture.

Also, as someone who is primarily into furry art I know I would want an art site that has furry art on the front page. I can appreciate other art but I want the animal people ;3

Anyway, good luck and I hope it works out!

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • E-points: +77/-33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:26:52 pm »
Your website is bad and you should feel bad.

SEACREST OUT