Author Topic: FA users complaining about CloudFlare's lossy compression  (Read 653 times)

mahadri

• E-points: +2/-0
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
FA users complaining about CloudFlare's lossy compression
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:20:10 pm »
FA users are reporting that around November 19th, "the quality of images became especially bad." How can I fix this? (FA issue) by Siroc, FA image quality explained by Waccoon

CloudFlare's image optimization is configurable between:
  • Off
  • Basic (Lossless): Reduce the size of PNG, JPEG, and GIF files with no impact on visual quality.
  • High (Lossy): Further reduce the size of JPEG files for faster image loading. Larger JPEGs are converted to progressive images, loading a lower-resolution image first and ending in a higher-resolution version. Not recommend for photography sites that exhibit hi-res images.
By November 19th, a little over one month after enabling CloudFlare, FA configured CloudFlare's optimization to High (Lossy). About a week before that, Fender posted CloudFlare stats showing that FA's total bandwidth was 27.9+61.4=89.3 TB. Assuming that's 27 days between FA recovering on October 17 through the journal on November 13, FA's transferring about 3.3 TB/day, or about 99 TB/month.

Yak commented "I will be looking at disabling/configuring this feature to hopefully disallow recompression of data that comes from *.facdn since its quality is something we are managing on our side." but there's been no updates, and the compression remains lossy.

I'm speculating that FA hit 100 TB transfer in 30 days, triggering a CloudFlare rep to investigate, who contacted FA to upsell the Enterprise plan ("averages $5,000 monthy") from their current Business ($200/month) plan, ultimately suggesting that FA enable image compression to stay under 100 TB/month.

Something similar happened to a 100 TB user on the free plan last year. How Much Traffic is Too Much Traffic For CloudFlare? quotes a CloudFlare rep saying "At 100TB/mo., pure file delivery, you'd need to be an Enterprise customer. Let me know if this works within your budget."

FA transfers too much to stay on CloudFlare's cheaper plans unless their high lossy compression goes unnoticed, but users are starting to complain.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:20:14 am by mahadri »

Conan

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +39/-9
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
Re: FA users complaining about CloudFlare's lossy compression
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:10:57 am »

They don't need no $5000/mo plan!!! They could use the free one just fine!!!

I'm pretty sure that Dragoneer, Zidonuke, and Net-Cat are all just brainwashed with "Cloud is Good" propaganda they likely get from working at Amazon. They have no idea how much this stuff really costs and don't realize that their Hobby Site doesn't make enough money for it.

I suspect that the paranoia about DDoSes will eventually die off and they will just go back to sending requests directly to the content servers.

JTfurry

• E-points: +1/-0
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:14:24 am »
Cloud costs ~5x more than serving content yourself, it is stupid for such a large site to use it when they have little revenue that only barely covers the monthly bill already...

If they were competent sysadmins then they would have a decent setup with their datacenter giving them better DDOS protection and failover.
Even a cheap datacenter that I use has shared 20gbps DOS protection on each server, can then get load balancing over multiple datacenters too increasing performance and throughput of the site.

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +77/-33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:25:41 am »
No, if they had competent systems and network people, they wouldn't need any external DDOS protection because they could mitigate any such attacks themselves.  And of course they'd actually be making good use of the hardware they already have, and would spend their limited budget on new hardware specifically designed with their site's needs in mind. Etc, etc, etc.

also holy fuck the textarea in this dark theme is totally fucked up. guess i'd better 'hire' some incredibly vile people to 'fix' it.