Author Topic: FA Admin Nylak wants you to send her an illegal copy of Photoshop.  (Read 1897 times)

Conan

• Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +42/-11
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
And couldn't be any less blunt about it.

This is, of course, against the rules.
You MAY NOT do any of the following
Don't post or discuss anything illegal. You and you alone are responsible for your actions, and take full responsibility for consequences of your actions.

And when told it's against the rules, Nylak claims that she doesn't care because she's so pissed off that Adobe refuses to give her a student version when she is no longer a student.

Perfect timing, since Dragoneer is gone for the weekend and probably won't notice this for another week.

Fiz

• nice
  • Cabalistic Fuckhead
  • E-points: +13/-1
  • no stop
    • View Profile
Re: FA Admin Nylak wants you to send her an illegal copy of Photoshop.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:06:04 am »
As said in the IRC, it's more perplexing that she had to make a journal asking for an illegal copy of photoshop (google is hard) than her breaking the rules.

At this point, I don't really think it's expected for the admins to follow their own rules. It'd be nice, though.
pee

BaconQuicheWithSpinach

• E-points: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:33:54 am »
The internet has been around so long that I sort of just stare incredulously at people who don't know how to torrent.

Eevee

• VAPOREONWARE
  • E-points: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:07:14 am »
I'm baffled as to what other interpretations of "student version" there are.

Jim Demintia

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +24/-6
  • Deflator Mouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:16:50 pm »
It actually does vary. With MSDNAA, they basically give students license to everything except Office. There are other academic programs for things like Visual Studio Ultimate (that includes modeling features) that have a perpetual license but explicitly prohibit commercial use. There might be a non-commercial clause in MSDNAA but they definitely allow use after you've graduated. The license terms are pretty liberal but schools pay through the nose for it.

Other similar programs like HUP (Home Use Program) - basically let you use Office at home if your employer subscribes - but you cannot use Office after you leave that place.

I'm honestly a little surprised that the Adobe program works that way, but the rules are the rules. Wonder what the Adobe license says about commercial activity on a student version of their CS suite? I'll bet that rule's pretty widely violated among furry artists.

I also know Adobe's a little anal about license transfer among different machines. I have to wonder if she wasn't trying to bend the rules and this was their way of saying "take a hike".
Can it be this sad design
Could be the very same
A wooly man without a face
And a beast without a name

Conan

• ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:04:26 pm »
Nylak has been deopped by Arshes until an official ruling from King Dragoneer is handed down.

camellia sinensis

• Winner: Worst Username on Viv 2011
  • E-points: +31/-3
  • Drink me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:01:36 pm »
Reminds me of that nursery song about the monkeys falling off and bumping their heads. How many staff is FA going to lose?

Conan

• ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:02 pm »
Reminds me of that nursery song about the monkeys falling off and bumping their heads. How many staff is FA going to lose?

That's a good question. There are rumors that recently when new forum staff was added, some of the forum staff had been asked to come to the main site to admin there. Every one of them refused. You know there's a problem when people don't even want to be an admin anymore.