Author Topic: More Orangina stuff  (Read 4989 times)

Gunther

• E-points: +3/-1
    • View Profile
More Orangina stuff
« on: September 10, 2010, 08:46:13 am »
Everyone here knows about the original Orangina commercial. An especially long commercial with a big song and dance sequence of a bear with an 'Adam' leaf covering him, a bikini clad deer, zebras in monokinis who get their vagina's slapped by said bear during a slide underneath them, and of course a panda girl getting her dress ripped off (though you'd swear it was a bikini to begin with).

They later had some newer commercials that showed the furries in a less than directly sexual role (in some cases) but still had fun with them. Now there's these ones that are only a few months old.

http://www.youtube.com/user/orangina#p/a

With the sole exception of the cougar shaving (which towards the end becomes obvious that he's gay and that guy is his partner) there's very little in terms of sexuality or innuendo that marked the other orangina commercials. I say that because it seems unusual that the shift from either sex jokes (the original commercial, or the giraffe skater following the butt of some other guy), or animal jokes, like the laughing hyena, to a rather conventional animal mascot use that's been around for a long time.

Again, it seems to me that the whole point of the originals was to catch the attention of the viewers and once they had it, they decided to drop it and play it (for the most part) safe, and the joke seems to be on the drink itself, that somehow it's an aftershave, a deodorant, a milk substitute, a shampoo, and others. That joke might be a bit clever at first, but it gets old very quickly.

AshleyAshes

• E-points: +4/-14
    • View Profile
Re: More Orangina stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:12:19 am »
Christ, why does it seem that furry cynics are more concerned with the Orangina commercials than the actual dumbass furfags who worship those commercials?

Jim Demintia

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +24/-6
  • Deflator Mouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:04:19 pm »
I couldn't help but notice the latest commercial has text in English. Interesting for an ostensibly French company and product. Francophones are pretty anal about making sure that foreign influences don't creep into their world, so one wonders why they'd be targetting the English-speaking world.

At one time I would have said there'd be no way, however I wonder if they're not going to try to somehow capitalize on the popularity of those commercials.
Can it be this sad design
Could be the very same
A wooly man without a face
And a beast without a name

pikachang

• E-points: +0/-0
  • Stupid Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »
Again, it seems to me that the whole point of the originals was to catch the attention of the viewers and once they had it, they decided to drop it and play it (for the most part) safe, and the joke seems to be on the drink itself, that somehow it's an aftershave, a deodorant, a milk substitute, a shampoo, and others. That joke might be a bit clever at first, but it gets old very quickly.

The pre-furry Orangina commercials all revolved around humor and were popular, I bet they're just trying to go back in that direction.

I couldn't help but notice the latest commercial has text in English. Interesting for an ostensibly French company and product. Francophones are pretty anal about making sure that foreign influences don't creep into their world, so one wonders why they'd be targetting the English-speaking world. At one time I would have said there'd be no way, however I wonder if they're not going to try to somehow capitalize on the popularity of those commercials.

You mean the rasta one? I don't think they're targetting the English speaking world there, even though they did air at least the original furry commercial in UK - they want to expand their market, obviously. Plus I'm not convinced that the French are as culturally isolationist as you suggest.

AshleyAshes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:00:29 pm »
Yeah uh Orangina IS sold in the UK, US and in Canada.  I'm pretty sure a range of their commercials air in English speaking regions.

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:19:39 pm »
The pre-furry Orangina commercials all revolved around humor and were popular, I bet they're just trying to go back in that direction.

And at least one of them was HIGHLY sexualized. I'm referring to the one where girls in bikinis are dancing and making 'music' with their butts for a short while until they announce that Orangina is the product they're advertising.

Again, this is a French thing. I've been to France as a 14 year old and I saw a commercial back in 1998 that showed a topless woman in a Kellogg's commercial.

MazelTovCocktail

• E-points: +5/-2
  • You smell somethin', Rabbit?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:09 am »
...and we wonder why France has never won a war.
I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses.

gnpg

• E-points: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:03:31 am »
Oh, the French have had a lot of military success, a more than 50% success rate. I've always found the whole "surrender monkeys" thing to be dumb. I mean sure, it's an easy joke, but a stupid one. Fact is, their military was so decimated by the Germans in WWII, that surrender was the best option at that point to minimize further destruction and death - and they fought going all the way down.  Don't forget the French Resistance either.

But yeah, France is very different with what they stick on TV.  Still a lot of macho-male posturing in the culture, along with other European countries (Greece, Italy)... a Kids in the Hall sketch had one of them obsessing over wanting to see more bare breasts on North American television. "They have breasts on television in Europe!  Because... uh... er... they're... more sophisticated!  Yeah, more sophisticated!"

Orangina: way-overpriced sugar-water.  But I must say when I went to Europe there were a lot more flavors.  Blood orange... good stuff.

loki

• E-points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:27:28 pm »
The French Foreign Legion is pretty hardcore. France should get more shit for being lazy - they're going on strikes because the retirement age is rising to 62.... it would be the end of the world if they matched the UK's retirement age (or *gasp* the US's!)

AshleyAshes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:39:56 pm »
Orangina: way-overpriced sugar-water.  But I must say when I went to Europe there were a lot more flavors.  Blood orange... good stuff.

Over priced it may be.  I saw it at my grocery store, $3.49 for a 2L bottle where as other name brand soft drinks were all $1.79 and even less for the store brand stuff.  I was pondering "What makes this stuff worth that much?"  I got some Orange Crush instead.

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »
Oh, the French have had a lot of military success, a more than 50% success rate. I've always found the whole "surrender monkeys" thing to be dumb. I mean sure, it's an easy joke, but a stupid one. Fact is, their military was so decimated by the Germans in WWII, that surrender was the best option at that point to minimize further destruction and death - and they fought going all the way down.  Don't forget the French Resistance either.

And don't forget the Free French forces, World War 1 (The French technically won that war, being a part of the allies. And their soldiers fought against unbelievable odds and still managed to score big victories against the Germans), and the fact that the French Foreign Legion is consider by some to be as good as the US Marine Corps.

But enough about that.

But yeah, France is very different with what they stick on TV.  Still a lot of macho-male posturing in the culture, along with other European countries (Greece, Italy)... a Kids in the Hall sketch had one of them obsessing over wanting to see more bare breasts on North American television. "They have breasts on television in Europe!  Because... uh... er... they're... more sophisticated!  Yeah, more sophisticated!"

On the old CYD forum had a link to a bunch of Spanish language cartoons that revolved around a carrot guy (with a butt no less) and a scanty clad rabbit girl that had a habit of showing off her breasts and even once had a full frontal on the show. Her butt was exposed constantly I think. They were on a small island trying to escape by calling for help from people passing by. Again, this stuff just shows different standards, and I think that's a GOOD thing since it would be boring if all TV in all countries stuck to the same formula.

I grew up in the Middle East, and Anime was popular there long before it hit North America and Europe. As a kid, I saw just about every kind of Anime in existence (not just the action-adventure type or mecha that's most associated with the genre in North America) and I saw it as just another way to make cartoons. This is the reason why I turn up an eyebrow when I see people complaining about the 'weirdness' of anime when those animes they watched are, in fact, employing a LOT of general anime cliches and aren't in any way original in their Japanese context.

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +77/-33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 08:45:53 pm »
Nominating this thread for "Worst thread of 2010"

pikachang

• E-points: +0/-0
  • Stupid Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 09:21:09 pm »

Over priced it may be.  I saw it at my grocery store, $3.49 for a 2L bottle where as other name brand soft drinks were all $1.79 and even less for the store brand stuff.  I was pondering "What makes this stuff worth that much?"  I got some Orange Crush instead.

Afaik Orangina (and Fanta) does have some real orange amid the sugar water, unlike Orange Crush and all those cheap soft drinks which are 100% fake - they're so cheap to make that the bottle is more expensive than the drink.

Sechs

• E-points: +5/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 09:28:39 pm »

What about the ones the whiner started about his getting banned from FA?

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 01:37:13 pm »
What about the ones the whiner started about his getting banned from FA?

Oh please, please, PLEASE let me win the worst thread of 2010. I never got an award like that before. Most down to earth person, yes, but never as the guy who made... the worst thread of the year.  8)