Author Topic: Weasyl development stalls as usage declines  (Read 1051 times)

Conan

• Postcount ate Whippany, NJ
  • E-points: +38/-9
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
Weasyl development stalls as usage declines
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:13:16 am »
Worth noting, since the development of FA's Project Phoenix shares a developer (Charmander) with Weasyl.

As Weasyl rapidly approaches it's second anniversary (September 30th!), it seems that they've stalled, with the last "site news" item being about the launch of an IRC network on July 2nd. The last news item to specifically talk about feature/code changes/bug fixes came on April 20th (Though they did a site policy update a month later.) The Weasyl Redmine is now a ghost town, with only four updates taking place in the month of July and in August, a bug report going unnoticed for the past three weeks.

The lack of updates may be causing people to drift away from the site, as evidenced by these graphs, taken off their public Graphite setup.

Traffic (measured by connections made to the site because apparently the active sessions statistic is gone) is starting to trend down from a long period of being relatively steady, even appearing to inch up slightly before heading down.

Given the timing of the traffic drop, it's possible that the "SJW Incident" drove people off the site, but there's no real way to know for sure. I do recall a couple people elsewhere online did express concern over it.

Meanwhile, the amount of content being uploaded to the site is following a similar trend, which has actually become quite noticeable on my own personal submissions feed. It takes a lot longer for an image to move down the list of "new submissions" than it did, say, six, seven months ago.

(The spike at the end is probably because of this)

It's possible that the expected UI update to FA may frustrate some users and drive them back to Weasyl, and allow them to bounce back, though in the past that has only served as a temporary bump.

Zinn

• E-points: +1/-0
  • Possibly Rabid
    • View Profile
Re: Weasyl development stalls as usage declines
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:02:03 pm »
I think the slow down for Submissions that is happening of late could also be due to that time of year where people return back to College or University. If so I'm going to anticipate there'll be a spike around any shared dates where school systems share holidays, rather than this being very indirectly my fault. Charmander is also one of eight developers on the staff page, and his profile has him as being responsible for markdown as opposed to coding new features - which I have no idea who is assigned to do what, nor what anyone is doing.

I would love to help Weasyl either by donation or to get involved developing features, but I do have other obligations and if Rampack's Journal is the cause for the slow down of activity I don't think my involvement will help.

an hoopoe

• Cabalistic Fuckhead
  • E-points: +36/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:54:11 pm »
Weasyl director and server owner is at least aware of things not getting done:

But perhaps effort is too much.

Anecdotally, I've noticed more and more people coming back to FA from Weasyl. Recently there was a thread on lulz.net about one sigil who made a big song and dance about leaving FA and plugging Weasyl but now she's ended up coming back to FA.

Conan

• E-points: +38/-9
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:45:25 am »
Weasyl recently launched a moderator recruitment drive, which, given the current decline in traffic and that I've been told the Weasyl ticket queue has been pretty empty for months, smells like a PR stunt to poke at FA or some FA-like logic where adding staff = better site. They currently have three moderators and six administrators (Most of which are former mods that got promoted), which is probably more staff than FA has (if they'd ever update the staff page). There has never been a clear explanation of the difference between "Admin" and "Moderator", so I don't know why a collective of 9 staff members are unable to moderate when there are less than 1000 submissions per day, unless they think they need to review each and every one.

Hello again, Weasyl users!
It's been a while since our last update; rest assured, our staff have been busy working away behind the scenes on new features and bigger, better coding updates. In the meantime, we are looking to bring on a few new moderators so we can continue to provide quick and effective service to the users of Weasyl.

The Moderator positions available are for main site moderators, responsible for answering reports for submission and journal violations. We are not currently looking for forum-exclusive moderators.
Moderators will be expected to work in a team environment to answer reports in a reasonable time from their initial creation and be able to respond to the community should questions about decisions arise. Applicants should have developed interpersonal skills and a desire to help build a more cohesive, friendly community for artists and art appreciators of all sorts. In addition, we are asking that applicants be able to dedicate several hours a week to site work and be available for communication on a regular basis. Previous moderation experience is preferred, but not required.

If you are interested in a moderator position here on Weasyl, please complete the form located on Weasyl Forums. The forms will close October 3rd, and selections will be finalized October 10th. Applicants must be 18+, have a forum account, and be familiar with the Weasyl Community Guidelines and Ratings Guidelines, as well as the Staff Code of Conduct.
Despite our need for more volunteers, positions are limited. Applicants are not guaranteed a position on Weasyl’s staff.

We are also always on the lookout for new coders, particularly as we prepare for a new phase of Weasyl development. If you are interested in volunteering for Weasyl in a development or technical capacity and are proficient in Python, please contact Struguri with Weasyl Dev at struguri@weasyl.com

Zinn

• E-points: +1/-0
  • Possibly Rabid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:07:53 am »
I initially thought Sigil coming back to Furaffinity was over stated following this exchange (Images posted as they were hard to find):

Someone logged on, checked numbers of submission favourites turns out it wasn't all 6's because of the demon thing Sigil draws. But then if its getting brought up here, I may as well follow this further, and behold:

Quote from: Sigil's Journal - Sort of back. Sort of.
NOTE: anyone saying "I told you so" will be blocked, no question.

It's been an interesting year so far in my life. I did several large conventions (Megacon, Origins, GenCon) with Tail Kiss Studio, did some furry ones of course, and even got to go to PAX and meet some great folks.

I've moved cross country, from Virginia to Oregon.

I've been doing lots of creative development with Furoticon, which is totally a passion of mine and I love it.

I've been forming some great friendships with people that are really dear to my heart. My relationship with my husband is better every day, and things are generally looking good!

I'm going to start posting art here again, starting with my backlog. If you follow me on Tumblr or Weasyl, you'll see the same shit for a while.

So here's the breakdown of my online presence currently:

Sneak peeks/first dibs on commissions - Patreon - http://www.patreon.com/sigilgoat
General Commission openings - Weasyl - https://www.weasyl.com/~sigil
Ask blog/requests - Tumblr - http://sigilgoat.tumblr.com
Me never shutting up - Twitter
Art Mirror - here

p.s. no i will not be uploading anything from before I left. noope.

If anything Furoticon was an idea born on Furaffinity, and like popular trading card games of the 90s it slide easily into being ubiquitous. I'm personally not surprised for her return, it's something that by being over-advertized is profitable, and whats' more profitable than advertizing on Wank City FA?   I am on the other hand surprised that Weasyl is opening for Coders.

Quote from: FayV
We are also always on the lookout for new coders, particularly as we prepare for a new phase of Weasyl development. If you are interested in volunteering for Weasyl in a development or technical capacity and are proficient in Python

It had to be python, I'm thinking this over personally given the time commitment it would take to learn python properly to be useful, but going over Ikani's twitter feed, they too also seem to have other commitments like the medical that gets mentioned prior to moving house. I wonder how Project Phoenix is doing, as in the classic furry tradition of everything we've ever done; development has stalled on everything.

rodox_video

• E-points: +34/-8
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 09:03:07 pm »
who the fuck is johnhbucks
Zeriara is part of a series on Whores.