Author Topic: Ads! Ads! Ads!  (Read 518 times)

Conan

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +39/-9
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
Ads! Ads! Ads!
« on: September 18, 2014, 01:28:08 am »
An announcement regarding ads was released today, and it may be some of the stupidest stuff to come out of FA since... the last stupid thing.

== Advertising Server Upgrade
We will be upgrading the advertising server to its own unique server within the next two weeks. We do not expect downtime for advertisers as we will be copying over the virtual server it is hosted on to the new system. The new server comes with a Xeon 1270v3, 32GB of RAM and 2X SSDs.

== New Advertising Banner & Price Increase
We are now offering the "Large" format ad banner size to users. This is a unique ad size which will only have FOUR OPEN SLOTS. Once filled, they will not be available for grabs until the campaigns expire. These ads will offer higher exposure, click yields and views!

Those without ad block know the Friday Night at Freddy's ad has been in the slot for almost two weeks. In that time, it has generated 38 million impressions and over 35,000 unique clicks (you like Foxy, we know it!).

http://help.furaffinity.net/article.....vertising.html

We are raising the cost of our standard banner from $20 to $25. Since we introduced our ads in 2007, we have maintained the same price point. The costs are being raised for two reasons: To reduce the number of banners on the site (which, in turn, will help offer our advertisers more successful campaigns). Second, the additional money will go to cover new hardware, help upgrade our services (including offering "feature" and "bug bounties" for coding) and to cover the site's finances (hello, taxes!).

The cost increase for standard ad banners will go into effect October 1st, 2014.

First off: A server with 32GB of RAM and 2 SSD's to serve a handful of GIF and JPG images. Reeeeeeally?

Second: I absolutely adore that he thinks upping the cost of unlimited random ad impressions by $5 will cut down on the amount of ads. FIVE. DOLLARS. Hoo boy, that's just too rich for my blood! Not to mention that he's once again displaying gross incompetence at running a business. Who raises prices with the express purpose of driving off people willing to give you money??????????????? If he wanted to have fewer ads, he could just limit the amount that can run. But he clearly states that he's doing it to get more money, which doesn't make much sense. Dragoneer's brain, everyone.

Worth noting: the "feature and bug bounties" thing. Another sign that he's given up on Phoenix?

Saxxon

• E-points: +0/-0
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
Re: Ads! Ads! Ads!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:37 pm »
Worth noting: the "feature and bug bounties" thing. Another sign that he's given up on Phoenix?
If there's going to be an upgrade to the site, I could actually see that being a thing: new site, good idea to see if anyone can find holes in it, etc. I, for one, would gladly help out (assuming I'd see a dollar of it anyway.)

It could go the other way and there could be no intention of upgrading. At this point it's anyone's guess. All we have to go on is the trend over the last few years...