Author Topic: UI Preview #36,948  (Read 3075 times)

venthewolf

• E-points: +1/-0
  • Pure yellowness
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: UI Preview #36,948
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 12:57:51 pm »
The clock is ticking. But dont expect anything

Rowedahelicon

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »
Only a few hours left, after the 30 day mark...

venthewolf

• Pure yellowness
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 01:37:42 am »
I think this "UI change" is just a banner change because as of typing this nothing happend

Rowedahelicon

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 05:07:18 am »
I think this "UI change" is just a banner change because as of typing this nothing happend

I still see the old banner, even ctrl-f5ing it

venthewolf

• Pure yellowness
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 08:09:14 am »

Well i mean that didnt happen. If there is any banner change they will announce it
But they are "working" on it

ITS DELAYED because of this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150224174546/https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/569939020794466304
But hey what do we got here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150224174722/https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/569937726310649856
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:47:46 am by venthewolf »

Rowedahelicon

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 12:56:39 pm »

Well i mean that didnt happen. If there is any banner change they will announce it
But they are "working" on it

ITS DELAYED because of this:
https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/569939020794466304
But hey what do we got here:
https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/569937726310649856

Oh wow comment editing, we're really moving forward into 2005 now! It's funny how someone with such a large amount of flawless tech knowledge and someone who "helps keep the internet running" seems to have hard drives fail on him so often.

Conan

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +38/-9
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:26 pm »
I like how he just kinda throws numerous unrelated excuses at the wall here. What hard drive crashed?? Clearly it wasn't his own because he implies he's actively working more on the UI, which is riddled with "bugs" still??

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +77/-33
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 06:22:39 pm »
god what part of ITS A FREE SITE do you people not get???????

Gourd

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 01:16:24 pm »
I guess this counts as a statement?

I don't understand why we can't get straight answers with this shit. What failed and went sour affecting something massive like a UI to the point where it STILL can't be implemented? Why is "life" always his excuse? If his life is filled with so much famine, war, rebuilding wtf ever Dragoneers go through, why doesn't he just bring on competent staff to help him? NUMEROUS people volunteer and are shut down or banned. And then he gets salty when people rightfully call him on it.

Quote from: Dragoneer;5082629
The UI was actually intended (and originally) supposed to have been done last August/September as part of the Summer Updates. Clearly, things failed and went sour with that. It reached a really bad peak, and pretty much everything both in my personal and professional life were put on backburner to my job. Yes, it's a poor excuse, but life unfortunately got the better of me and a lot of things fell by the wayside.

Now, with things as they currently are, my days are spent fixing and improving FA across the board. Yes, I admit, we're playing a bit of catchup and there's a lot of things on the plate to contend with. Editable Comments are NOT the wow-factor, but a part of the larger equation.

The UI improvements are going to be rolled out in stages.

Making the site faster, improve performance and end-user experience. Performance is the primary issue for a lot of people, and improving reliability and accessibility is where we start. To that end, we've purchased roughly $8,000 worth of new server gear to roll out a new storage/file system to allow FA to support larger uploads and more robust content. We will be adding another storage server (mirroring the first) to compliment the system as we also work to phase out older.

As part of this, we will also be focusing on core improvements to the UI. A better note system (not perfect, but better), editable comments and lots of tiny, little fixes that make life better all around.

After that, we focus on mobility. Making FA work better and more reliably on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. I'm already working on this part of the phase, and some of it is going to leak over into the beta.

As for the question why does it say "$Gender $Country"? Because those are to be added in. Enhancing user profiles is a priority, and giving users more ability to tweak and improve their profiles is high on my list. No, it's not perfect, and yes, there are many, MANY more improvements which need to be done along the way.

Delays and unforeseen circumstances (some good, some bad) have really crept up in the way of this project, but I'm dead set on getting something out which will be better.

https://forums.furaffinity.net/threads/1348104-So-FA-is-10-years-old-ever-going-to-update-the-site/page2

EDIT: That's post #47 btw to save you some time.

Gryphoneer

• E-points: +3/-0
  • Maggot Tool With Superiority Complex
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 02:11:18 pm »
There's also this gem.

Quote from: Dragoneer
I bet it'd be a lot cheaper to upgrade the slow code behind the site than the hardware struggling underneath it.

That doesn't work for storage servers, when you need to add 20TB of additional storage to host files. Code can't quite improve that. You can reduce /some/ space, but it's hard to add additional storage through software.

https://forums.furaffinity.net/threads/1348104-So-FA-is-10-years-old-ever-going-to-update-the-site?p=5082719&viewfull=1#post5082719

Conan

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 01:53:20 am »
I thought this "Kalmor" guy in the thread was just an idiot, then I looked at his FA Profile.

I am 17 years old...

Explains a lot.

Also, the failed hard drive? Yak's. Yak's system went down and now there's apparently no way to update FA. Hackers take note.

And Yak's system took a nose dive. The UI's pretty much ready to go into a beta, though isn't done and does need some refinements. I'm spending pretty much all available time improving this and trying to make things better, but some of the improvements to the UI also will be carried over to the current UI as well. Since some of the UI is in fact code changes (maybe not all apparent, but there are changes and fixes) the delay on Yak's end has lead to some additional delays.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:31:29 am by Conan »

Gourd

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 10:27:21 am »
I thought this "Kalmor" guy in the thread was just an idiot, then I looked at his FA Profile.

I am 17 years old...

Explains a lot.

I'm kind of surprised they let a 16 year old (when he was Raptros) moderate a forum. I don't take him seriously. At all. He is one of the main people who actively defends everything the FA admins do. Even defending Chase and his sick dogfuckery back in 2013's "Great Exodus", saying his actions "don't matter". Should still be somewhere if Dragoneer didn't wipe it. I'll have to find it and screencap it one day.

He's right there coddling Piche every time he "explains" himself on the forums. Also POORLY rebutts criticisms when the proof against his claims is damning.

venthewolf

• Pure yellowness
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 12:01:10 pm »
Shit gets real now:
http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/6534234/

Dont expect much though :P

EDIT: The banner is also fitting very well with the season

ColonThree

• E-points: +17/-3
  • Not a cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 10:12:30 am »
So 10 years later, they figure out editable comments. No doubt it will either randomly not work, or edit someone else's comment, or post a second comment instead, or follow different formatting rules than the original, or introduce new security issues, or require you to reload the page, or...
~Witty quote~

JTfurry

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 06:28:46 am »
Hmmm /notes/ has changed. Guess that is it for this year.

Wheat will be updated next year?

winserv03fan

• Dumbest Username Award - May 2012
  • E-points: +4/-4
  • A Duck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 06:51:52 am »
Hmmm /notes/ has changed. Guess that is it for this year.

Wheat will be updated next year?

Gee, I guess year of the fullscreen is over. Also why do folders and legends get their own column. That creates so much wasted space...

It's even worse on phones, you get about 5 words per line.

Edit: Editable comments work too, also instead of having a subject line, it says #link now (permalink?), it also shows a little icon by your avatar with a pencil if you edit the comment.

Conan

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 03:29:47 pm »
Ten years later they finally fixed the "RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:" thing, too. All of my notes now just have one RE:.

Again, one of those things someone with a few weeks experience with PHP and MySQL could fix...

Edit: the message center is slow as shit now.

Conan

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 02:43:46 am »
From Yak:

UI updates are being delayed because while FA has some code support for running several template sets at once, that support has been found to be insufficient.

It's for that farfetched to assume not everybody would want to use the new UI right away. Frankly, it's not 100% finished yet.
Hence my goal has been to deploy it as a separate template set one could opt-in from the control panel.

Anyone who does even a bit of web development can readily see why it's problematic to do so on current FA: styles, javascript code and static resources are spread out across multiple top level folders.
A new template set usually requires changes in all three of those categories, and it's much easier to implement and support them when they're grouped under the same top-level folder, with all the resources contained within.
There are also bits and pieces of deprecated legacy code still haunting some of the older templates that would need to be updated.
This is what is currently being worked on. As you might imagine that's quite a bit of work....
.. as a prerequisite to simply being able to deploy the current and the new UI side by side.

The amount of time to get this done has been mis-communicated between myself and Dragoneer. I'll be sure to be more thorough in my future overviews of the scope of difficult tasks.

At any rate live FA will be updated tomorrow with the code changes regarding the redesigned notes page UI and the editable comments.

PS
If your post starts with "I don't mean to.... but" you've already lost.

The best part about this post is he inadvertently admits that none of the previous "IT'S COMING REAL SOON NOW GUYS PROMISE!!!" claims regarding past iterations of the New UI ever got close to entering production, or this kind of stuff would have been done four years ago.

Gourd

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 10:41:43 am »
http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/6547767

A statement regarding the (late) UI among other things.

They claim to aim for early this month. I'm going to assume from the time of this journal entry to the 12-15 is what they mean by "early". Also, who are the new mods?

Rowedahelicon

• Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 11:27:31 am »
http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/6547767

A statement regarding the (late) UI among other things.

They claim to aim for early this month. I'm going to assume from the time of this journal entry to the 12-15 is what they mean by "early". Also, who are the new mods?

They're all under hidden accounts now