Author Topic: Brief RF2013 notes  (Read 1425 times)

Pi

• POOR IMPULSE CONTROL
  • Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +46/-10
  • <blink>yes hello</blink>
    • View Profile
    • Clan Spum userpage
Brief RF2013 notes
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:21:13 am »
I didn't go to Rainfurrest this year, so I don't have any firsthand experience, just reports from friends:

The fire alarms would go off for no obvious reason, and multiple times (because the hotel doesn't know how to reset the fire alarms, from what I heard)

"Adventurecru", a stinky bucket of shithead trustfund kids from Pittsburgh, gave a panel on con horror stories. (I'm not sure they included the part where they only know how to make airhorn noises during dances, because, again: not there)

A noticeable contingent of grown men in pink clothes and overalls, carrying pacifiers, were spread throughout the con, and I heard another thing about a room having to be cleared out because of the foul odor.

Con staff seemed stressed, mostly about money.

Any further reports?
"we did farts.  now we do sperm.  we are cutting edge." — Theo DeRaadt

Conan

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +38/-9
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
Re: Brief RF2013 notes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:54:54 pm »
"Adventurecru", a stinky bucket of shithead trustfund kids from Pittsburgh, gave a panel on con horror stories. (I'm not sure they included the part where they only know how to make airhorn noises during dances, because, again: not there)

Adventurecru had more than one panel. Along with the con horror stories one they also gave one called "Youtubaloo" (Full name "Youtubaloo Renaissance: Can’t Corner the Dorner" which is "A presentation with... a collection of the best underground videos from the internet over the past year. Simply put, the TOP LEL.") with a ten minute long intro video that makes you stupider as you watch it.

I don't think words have been invented that adequately describe just how terrible that group is.

It's worth noting that "Can't Corner the Dorner" is a very short lived meme that originated during the Chris Dorner manhunt in February of this year and for whatever reason these dumbshits think that's still funny or relevant some 7 months later.

rodox_video

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +34/-8
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:05:34 pm »
Poundsignadventurecru is headed by a dude who is a second-generation furrified copy of a famous fictional hipster. It's suprising that their jokes would be only be half a year out of date.
Zeriara is part of a series on Whores.

GreenReaper

• transphobic shitheel raccoon puppetmaster
  • E-points: +12/-23
  • Rambling norn
    • View Profile
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 03:59:55 am »
I don't know about the multiple times, but my understanding is that someone (hotel staff?) meant to turn off fire alarms in the main events hall because they knew they'd have smoke machines in there, but fatfingered it and triggered the silent alarm test, which turned into a full-blown alarm about 30 seconds later. This was five minutes after they'd let about 500 furs into main events for the fursuit dance competition.

Thankfully the SpinDizzy MUCK crew (whimsical fantasy represent!) had just ordered pizza to the overflow hotel - they wouldn't let us order it to the main hotel lobby, as nobody had a room there - so we headed out ahead of the crowd. The sirens could be heard just as we arrived at our destination.

There was actually a complaint at the scritch and hiss that there wasn't enough cub-oriented programming. Staff pointed out that only one group (Babyfur.ME) had requested any. The Cub Hub was just across from registration, though that may just have been a coincidence (they put lots of party rooms in that area).

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +77/-33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »
There is not a single thing about the above post that isn't incredibly unsettling in some way.

Pi

• POOR IMPULSE CONTROL
  • Posts like Kage drinks
    • View Profile
    • Clan Spum userpage
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:36:59 pm »

Adventurecru had more than one panel. Along with the con horror stories one they also gave one called "Youtubaloo" (Full name "Youtubaloo Renaissance: Can’t Corner the Dorner" which is "A presentation with... a collection of the best underground videos from the internet over the past year. Simply put, the TOP LEL.") with a ten minute long intro video that makes you stupider as you watch it.

It's worth noting that "Can't Corner the Dorner" is a very short lived meme that originated during the Chris Dorner manhunt in February of this year and for whatever reason these dumbshits think that's still funny or relevant some 7 months later.

I think that's probably my most real complaint about these people. Not only are they destructive, they're fundamentally derivative and boring - look at what they present: "con horror stories" ('that we caused') alongside "popular youtube things (from 7 months ago)".

Imagine if con ops gave a "Con Horror Stories (and how we cleaned them up)" presentation.

Now imagine if someone who actually creates youtube content hosted a panel.

Both of these would be significantly different from the poundsignadventurecru panels, which are all oriented around use, abuse, and consumption.

ColonThree

• E-points: +17/-3
  • Not a cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:46:32 am »
There was actually a complaint at the scritch and hiss that there wasn't enough cub-oriented programming

I have no idea what you just said
~Witty quote~

GreenReaper

• transphobic shitheel raccoon puppetmaster
  • E-points: +12/-23
  • Rambling norn
    • View Profile
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:01:15 pm »
There was actually a complaint at the scritch and hiss that there wasn't enough cub-oriented programming

I have no idea what you just said
Most furry conventions have a hour or so shortly before or after closing ceremonies where members can deliver compliments or complaints to staff. It is given a theme-appropriate name. During that event, someone stood up and said that there were not enough events on the schedule which catered to the interests of fans of underage and/or diapered animal characters. The response was that only one of them had asked for any, so that was all they got.

Pi

• POOR IMPULSE CONTROL
  • Posts like Kage drinks
    • View Profile
    • Clan Spum userpage
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
I don't think that was a request for clarification, GR.