Author Topic: Will Midwest FurFest dethrone Anthrocon as "World's Largest Furry Convention"?  (Read 1950 times)

ColonThree

• E-points: +18/-3
  • Not a cat
    • View Profile
Where will all the furries drink now??

Toilets and/or bowls on the floor
~Witty quote~

GreenReaper

• transphobic shitheel raccoon puppetmaster
  • E-points: +12/-28
  • Rambling norn
    • View Profile
    • GreenReaper Studios

Good thing they sold all those dog-bowls, then… though I left mine in Texas.

There isn't one right way to run a convention. People who want lots of big stage events and parades will go to events which provide that. People who want a get-together with friends in a place with a big lobby area will go to events which provide that. And fursuiters who don't want to be in a parade don't have to be in it. [Arguably, they'd get a lot more attention not being in the parade, at least from furs elsewhere at the con.]

Convention events change over time, too. Case in point: TMLMTBGB probably won't be at MFF 2017 - which is itself a long and convoluted saga worthy of Vivisector. Glad I got my hug in this year!

Both Anthrocon and MFF are growing, and they're going to continue to be great conventions. But MFF may take the attendance crown eventually, if only due to one thing: location.

Anthrocon is great for driving to from the East Coast or Toronto - as its state attendance suggests - but it's decidedly sub-optimal for flying; especially for Europe, but also the West Coast. It's easier to get a cheap flight from London to Chicago in mid-December than it is to get one to Pittsburgh around the 4th of July. If you're lucky, it'll even be direct, meaning eight and a half hours rather than twelve.

It's not possible to get a direct flight from London to Pittsburgh. Or from Germany, Or Seattle (remember Rainfurrest?). Or San Jose. SFO has one, but you don't want to pay for it. That can make a difference for the furs with jobs who have the money to fly, but who want to make the best of time off, especially if they're comparing it with the numerous options in Europe.

Then there's the fact that Rosemont's three miles from the airport, while Pittsburgh is twenty and has a city in the way - albeit only the 52nd-biggest city in the U.S. - plus you have to walk past all those empty gates. And the ones which are full are used for Southwestern's domestic flights. FWA isn't much worse; Atlanta has direct European flights. But it's another hour away, and smaller, so you have to have some reason to go to FWA over MFF.

Now, MFF's has its own growing pains. A portion of their attendee growth comes from free parent and kid registrations that don't have quite as much of an impact on event space, but they're finally being forced to adopt the convention center in a meaningful way, and the board's already concerned about the cost (as they should be; Anthrocon's per-attendee expenses jumped $10-12 when they moved in 2016). They're having to rethink staff organization, too. Apparently there are 36,000-person anime conventions in the same center. I wish them luck with that.

rodox_video

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +61/-14
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
Where will all the furries drink now??

lifestyling will be the new "in" thing all over again, just you watch
Zeriara is part of a series on Whores.

PleadingTheYiff

• E-points: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Is nopenope X-Man because that's the only guy I can think of THAT aggressively Pollyanna about AC. Also, one of the few people freaking out THAT HARD about BLFC's rise. Although there was an AC staff email the weekend of MFF pleading with people not to be dicks if they were 'biggest'. The tone of the email was pretty fatalistic "We looooove the city" and seeming to just abdicate the throne and being happy to be just another 'big regional', which seems odd from AC High Command.

Did you know? AC had special bags this year for the con swag. So special. Is it because it was the 20th year of Anthrocon? Naw, they felt the need to pimp that it's Pittsburgh's bicentennial. Hope the city paid for that.

Greenie has most of the story right. Pittsburgh, the city administration really really needs AC. Back around the time the move happened, I talked to someone from a car club I was in, who was part of the year out of Pittsburgh. Story is that futuristic convention center's a huge white elephant, and the politicians realized too late the big international conferences are a negative for the local economy, driven home by the 2009 G20 warzone downtown. They need a happy story, and AC's it. Kage and Krew are all too happy to get out the buckets of whitewash and play along with that particular narrative.

And then about the time AC moved the city got nuked for transport options. Bigass airport way outside town, designed for decades to be US Air's big hub, now a ghost town. Abandoned for Philly, naturally. So there's all the transport issues Green brought up and that's not getting fixed any time soon. I don't know why 2nope brings up BLFC being 'hotel limited', ain't no joint more hotel limited than AC. Ride a shuttle for miles in fursuit in July! toot toot! ...honestly I keep expecting AC to stall out due to these structural issues and it keeps not happening, to their credit. They actually had a pretty good year this time around, it's just that everyone else is doing much better.

Man, that parade. People tried to stop it. THEY TRIED.
Ironic usernames R us.

rodox_video

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +61/-14
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
Is nopenope X-Man
best post of 2017 already right here
Zeriara is part of a series on Whores.