Author Topic: Furnation shuts down forever after 20 yrs  (Read 1890 times)

an Hoopoe

• Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +37/-56
    • View Profile
Furnation shuts down forever after 20 yrs
« on: December 18, 2015, 10:41:44 am »
As you may already know, FurNation has been offline since a DDOS hit it and took the server offline a few months ago. No data was stolen or lost, as it was a simple denial of service attack. Due to our ISP not having ANY form of DDOS protection they refused to allow us to bring the servers back online due to the fear of another attack.

Since that time there has been a series of unfortunate events in my life that has caused me great stress and hardship. First, my father got very ill (he is now 78 years old) and I had to take time from work to deal with his situation. A few weeks later I fell ill and almost lost my life due to an un-diagnosed heart condition that caused me to accumulate fluid in my chest until my lungs collapsed. Fortunately I was at the emergency room when this happened and they were able to get my lungs to expand before I stopped breathing for good. The entire hospital stay and fix to keep me alive came to over 58,000 dollars.

Because of all the above in lost time at work and home, I lost my job. First time in my life I was ever fired. Hurts like hell, but life goes on.

Due to hospital bills, lost job, and everything else I am deep into debt and see no way out of it. I am planning to sell off everything I own minus the shirt on my back and move somewhere (location still to be determined). I still don’t know what I will do without the insurance I had at my last job, and I sure can’t get a prescription refill or doctor visit now. I guess life just sucks like that, but I will make do.

I have been looking for a way to save FurNation and get the system back online. Due to trying to find another job, trying to pay bills, and everything else I have been VERY slow to accomplish anything. But it did give me time to think and time to remember all the good times I had running the site.

Up to this point I have paid the majority of the server fees to run FurNation out of my own pocket. There have been previous donations and some paid the cost for months at a time, but the majority was always paid by me. Since we have been offline there has been a few donations, but nothing near to what would be needed to cover the cost of a re-launch. Over the 20 years (19 actually because we are going INTO our 20th year) we estimate that the hosting fees were approximately 300 dollars a month times 228 months = 68,400 bucks.

It is time, after 20 years, for FurNation to close shop. There are MANY other furry based websites out there, and some of them are really impressive (hear that furrynetwork.com). I will refund all the donations we have received since we started taking them again a few months ago when I transfer the funds back into my primary account. I will simply do a return charge on all of them.

I have locked the FurNation.com domain name (and some other derivatives of that name that I own) into escrow for 20 years. After that the names will be free for someone else to use. The present temporary server will be online till the end of this month to host this page then I shall move this page to a free hosting provider so it can remain for other to read in the future.

RIP FurNation. I hope you will be missed and remembered fondly for all the friends you have brought together over the years. FurNation was one of the first furry based sites on the web, but it will not be the last.

FurNation – November 1996 to November 2015

Sincerely,

SYSTEM
^
http://furnation.com/

Spip

• E-points: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Furnation shuts down forever after 20 yrs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 02:58:13 pm »
Not only NOT going to sell or give away the server/data, but going to sit on the domain names for TWO DECADES? "System's" fursona must be a dog in a manger.

rodox_video

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +61/-14
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:51:33 pm »
20 years, the last 10 of which were spent in total irrelevance and that's being generous
Zeriara is part of a series on Whores.

Spip

• E-points: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 02:10:47 pm »
Sure, but I meant 20 years in the future
I have locked the FurNation.com domain name (and some other derivatives of that name that I own) into escrow for 20 years. After that the names will be free for someone else to use.
Not that I expect people to be beating down "System's" door wanting to use those domain names in particular, but it seems pretty silly to sit on things that he already knows he's not going to get any use out of.

graeme

• E-points: +12/-1
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 04:46:15 pm »
Sure, but I meant 20 years in the future
I have locked the FurNation.com domain name (and some other derivatives of that name that I own) into escrow for 20 years. After that the names will be free for someone else to use.
Not that I expect people to be beating down "System's" door wanting to use those domain names in particular, but it seems pretty silly to sit on things that he already knows he's not going to get any use out of.

The rumor going around is that the guy who runs FurTrax publically mentioned that Furnation was vulnerable to DDOS, and then, magically, within short order they were DDOS'd exactly as the kid mentioned on twitter.  Then right when SYSTEM/Nexxus was making the decision, the Furtrax kid offered to "save Furnation" and basically take over.

The 20 year escrowing is a fuck-you to that kid, who probably was involved with the DDOS anyway.

JTfurry

• E-points: +1/-8
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 12:41:03 am »
we estimate that the hosting fees were approximately 300 dollars a month

Really?
Could have hosted that site for 10s of dollars. It was just Social Engine xD

Conan

• Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +44/-12
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 05:03:32 am »
well that was fast.

A Crowdfunding campaign has sprung up to bring Furnation back. They are asking for $5k. As of right now they've raised a couple hundred dollars, enough to bring the old server back online.

https://www.gofundme.com/furnation

As you may already know, FurNation has been offline since a DDOS hit it and took the server offline a few months ago. No data was stolen or lost, as it was a simple denial of service attack. Due to our ISP not having ANY form of DDOS protection they refused to allow us to bring the servers back online due to the fear of another attack.

Since that time there has been a series of unfortunate events in my life that has caused me great stress and hardship. First, my father got very ill (he is now 78 years old) and I had to take time from work to deal with his situation. A few weeks later I fell ill and almost lost my life due to an un-diagnosed heart condition that caused me to accumulate fluid in my chest until my lungs collapsed. Fortunately I was at the emergency room when this happened and they were able to get my lungs to expand before I stopped breathing for good. The entire hospital stay and fix to keep me alive came to over 58,000 dollars.

Because of all the above in lost time at work and home, I lost my job. First time in my life I was ever fired. Hurts like hell, but life goes on.

We are raising funds to bring back the FurNation server and hosted website system. The base amount needed for hosting is $350 a month. Our total goal for 1 year of hosting is $5000 (this includes an overhead of $800 for any additions/taxes or other costs we may need over the year. Anything left over will carry into the following year).

Our goal is to sustain the website with user donations (at cost, no profit) and to continue the service into the future.

The new server spec is as follows: Intel Xeon E5 - 2 x E5-2650v3 20/40t - 2,3 / 3,0 GHz 256 GB of RAM - DDR4 ECC 2133 MHz 2 x2TB + 2 x300GB of SSD SOFT

The server hosting company we have choosen (name not disclosed for anti-DDOS reasons) has a proven record of dealing with high-bandwidth attacks. They promise 24/7 support for mitigating any type of server attack and quick backup/restore in emergency cases.

When we reach the first $350 we can proceed to order the server and bring the site back online. We have the complete backup from the day the site went down. It will be as if we never left.

And as a surprise.... WE WILL BE OFFERING FREE WEBSITE HOSTING AGAIN!

That 256GB RAM server is clearly the best option for their purposes. Did Furnation get taken over by Dragoneer??

JTfurry

• E-points: +1/-8
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:09:15 am »
well that was fast.

A Crowdfunding campaign has sprung up to bring Furnation back. They are asking for $5k. As of right now they've raised a couple hundred dollars, enough to bring the old server back online.

https://www.gofundme.com/furnation

That 256GB RAM server is clearly the best option for their purposes. Did Furnation get taken over by Dragoneer??

What is it with Furry sites after getting DDOSed running crowd funding for way over the amount they really need?

Love that they try to hide the server host they are going with yet copy paste the specs directly from OVH's website..
And why do they need a server that large? Social Engine is a horrid thing but is easily ran off small servers even with large communities.
It is somewhat better ran over multiple smaller instances for reliability too over single server infrastructure.

Does anyone have any user stats of this site like total users, average users etc? Would be interesting to see. Alexa rank for past 2 years would be awesome to see.