Author Topic: FA: United 2015  (Read 2045 times)

Conan

• Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +44/-12
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
FA: United 2015
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:53:07 am »
FA: United 2015 took place in the booming metropolis of Whippany, New Jersey this past weekend, and it sounds like it went over just about as well as you'd expect something organized by FA would.

The #FAU2015 hashtag on Twitter was unusually quiet all weekend, and when things did get posted to it, they often either directly or indirectly mentioned that the con was a lot quieter than years past. A dance held Thursday night attracted just five people to the dance floor. A Friday night dance was so sparsely attended it was shut down early. Another dance saw slightly higher turnout. People complained on Twitter about the con in general being "empty".

#FAU2015 Worst.Con.Ever. I can't believe I'm out $50! Fucked Parade, Empty Halls, Canceled Dances, Canceled Dance Comps. Dealer room is OK.
I’m at #FAU2015 … Damn, it’s quiet in here! _(photo)

Events were seemingly rescheduled to the whim of the event organizers, which meant the Fursuit Parade was randomly moved from it's scheduled Sunday timeslot to Saturday. When it started, the convention did not provide any water to fursuiters, but did make a point to blast My Little Pony music into the room.
#FAU2015 you changed the date from Sunday to Saturday for the parade… WHY>!
HEY THIS IS IMPORTANT: to everyone at #fau2015, they rescheduled the parade! It starts in 15 minutes! Suiters get over here!!
welcome to the #fau2015 fursuit parade prep- we don't have any water for you but we're piping in MLP music for your satisfaction

There was confusion over whether or not there was a dance competition. Some reported that event staff said there was none, others report that the MC/host didn't show up.

The back of the con book was emblazoned with a nauseating "lol random xD" in-joke that looks like it came from Dragoneer.

And if those weren't enough for you, an account of Saturday night from elsewhere online via the Vivisector IRC:
Saturday nite at avifoxes party. Drinks were spiked some overweight nigger started chimping out. A female passed out and someone decided to take pic's of her. Cops showed up arrested the nig nog. Meanwhile downstairs, someone had too much to drink and passed out. Waahhhmbulance was summoned. I only read of the money missing via fau twitter.

The person who was involved in the sexual assault has come forward on Twitter, confirming that it happened. I personally have been able to obtain a recording of the Police/Fire/EMS dispatch from the call for the drunk person. It was a 20-year-old.

Unlike conventions past, the attendance numbers (which had been climbing prior to this year) were released in an official post. This year they were first mentioned as a reply on Dragoneer's personal Twitter. Despite the low events turnout and quiet con, Dragoneer claims that attendance was down only 49 people for a total of 658 vs. last year's 707. Their donation to their charity was $7,700 down $1,100 from last year's $8,800.

Given that there was no significant drama out of last year's event, it's probably safe to assume that the IMVU sale may have played into the lower turnout this year. It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Perhaps Princess Piche's dream of being Kage 2.0 is starting to slip through his fingers.

P.S. Please enjoy this photo of Dragoneer and Chase (on the right, you can't miss him, trust me).

ColonThree

• E-points: +18/-3
  • Not a cat
    • View Profile
Re: FA: United 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:15:53 am »
Does FA:U turn a profit? If so, does it all go to IMVU now? Does IMVU cover losses if it doesn't? Certainly doesn't look like they gave FA any help with it.
~Witty quote~

Anarcho-Loser

• E-points: +10/-3
  • YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:50:26 am »
Does FA:U turn a profit? If so, does it all go to IMVU now? Does IMVU cover losses if it doesn't? Certainly doesn't look like they gave FA any help with it.

I remember Piche saying previous years that he had large amounts of debt from putting the con on his credit cards, so I'm guessing there is no profit.
We tried, we failed.

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • Admin
  • E-points: +79/-35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 12:56:30 pm »

I remember Piche saying previous years that he had large amounts of debt from putting the con on his credit cards, so I'm guessing there is no profit.

There may be no profit, but isn't the org responsible a for-profit?  IIRC he was also had a huge tax burden from it.

Anarcho-Loser

• YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:04:03 pm »
There may be no profit, but isn't the org responsible a for-profit?  IIRC he was also had a huge tax burden from it.

Their Eventbrite has them as operated by Ferrox Art LLC, so yes the event was for profit.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fa-united-2015-registration-12611708961

Since I think IMVU owns Ferrox Art LLC now, its unclear to me whether IMVU owns FAU or not.

Also, is it just me, or does FAU not even have its own website? The 100 attendee local con near me has its own website, but FAU doesn't???
We tried, we failed.

Conan

• ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »
Dragoneer claimed a while ago that IMVU was not involved with the con. I think he still owns Ferrox Art, and simply sold FA's hardware and IP.

It's been rumored that the con doesn't turn much profit because he puts any expected profit back into the con in the form of giveaway merchandise or events (the cookout) before it happens. This was why a few years ago they failed to deliver supersponsor gifts. They simply ran out of money for the gifts because Piche bugeted poorly.

I wouldn't be surprised if this year ended up in the red. A loss of 60 attendees means the loss of $3,000 assuming they all paid $50 (i'm not sure what FAU's cheapest badge option is) and given past growth I would think they expected more people than last year.

PleadingTheYiff

• E-points: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:16:42 pm »
It's not a good sign that the random rescheduling of fursuit events reminds me of nothing so much as the first, disastrous Antheria, where the name of the game was 'Oh god, there's a hole in the schedule, people are bored!'

Also, reminder that if you run a for-profit entity that never is intended to make a profit, that makes it a 'hobby' in the IRS' eyes, not a business. That'd mean far more tax trouble for Team Potato.
Ironic usernames R us.

Conan

• ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 02:14:06 am »
The yearly announcement for FAU has taken place, and as usual that means all of FA's social media and announcement accounts have sputtered back to life to do nothing but promote the loosely-related convention. Presumably, this is what Dragoneer has been spending all his time doing (when not gaming, of course).

Of note, after last year's attendance drop, the convention has moved to the Hyatt Regency Dulles, which is both cheaper and much easier to get to than their previous venue, which was located in a business park in the middle of nowhere, NJ. This places it extremely close  to where Dragoneer lives and FA is hosted (the announcement even points this out), and maybe most importantly, about 17 minutes literally down the road from the venue of the established Fur The 'More, which moved to nearby Tysons Corner in 2015.

Dragoneer claims the reason for the move is because "We weren't able to get the dates we wanted from our last hotel". Though with lower-than-expected turnout and ambulances showing up due to underage drinking, I wonder if they could get any dates...

It seems silly to hold two conventions in the same exact area, 4 months apart from each other. Was there a new "Olive Garden" type incident? Did Fur The More do something to piss Princess Piche off enough that he's willing to risk his own convention in an attempt to ruin theirs?

Anarcho-Loser

• YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 04:03:27 am »
It seems silly to hold two conventions in the same exact area, 4 months apart from each other. Was there a new "Olive Garden" type incident? Did Fur The More do something to piss Princess Piche off enough that he's willing to risk his own convention in an attempt to ruin theirs?

Its funny you should mention this, because I distinctly remember seeing Piche sitting behind the Fur The More table in the dealers room during AC '15. It would be pretty hilarious if this turned out to be the case.
We tried, we failed.