Author Topic: 10 years later, folders have been hacked in  (Read 1395 times)

Conan

• Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +44/-12
  • \(_o)/
    • View Profile
10 years later, folders have been hacked in
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:42:55 pm »
After nearly a decade of "WE'RE WORKIN' ON IT", Fur Affinity unveiled it's new folder system on Sunday to coincide with the conclusion of FA: United.

The system is simply comprised of groups of submissions. Putting an item in a folder does not take it out of your main gallery and you can put a submission in as many folders as you'd like, which may imply that these are nothing more than a relational database setup that took nearly 10 years to be implemented. The settings for folders are spread out among multiple control panels and feature some terrific UI design, like this monster.

Yak claims that "limitations" that still exist in FA prevented him from implementing a better system.
Current implementation of folders is working within the limitations of the existing gallery hierarchy: main gallery and scraps being primary folders, and additional user created folders acting more as filters rather than actual folders.
This isn't how we'd like to see this in the end, but there are some prerequisites that need to be met before we can change this hierarchy into the one where there is only one "all content" metafolder, "main gallery", "featured" and "scraps" default folders, and user created folders behaving as actual folders, e.g submissions assigned into them will not be shown in any of the three "default folders" above.
My options were limited. There are still a few old architectural uhh... limitations from the early days of FA that prevent me from doing nice things easily (table schemas, filesystem organization, etc). They're like anchors.
Taking care of them is my priority in the immediate future.

These comments are similar to comments he made years ago as to why it was taking so long to get folders in the first place (The "filesystem" excuse has been one of his go-to's for YEARS). In the end, it seems he did the bare minimum amount of work required, and I have to wonder what was keeping this system from being implemented 5 years ago.

N

• E-points: +1/-0
  • Filthy Animal Person
    • View Profile
Re: 10 years later, folders have been hacked in
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:23:41 pm »
The backend could be bubble gum and hooker spit and it wouldn't be an excuse for that frankenstein of a UI. Can't blame that on ancient backend limitations, that's all on them.

Anarcho-Loser

• E-points: +10/-3
  • YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 04:57:49 am »
Cue the endless ass kissing from the user base.

Quote from:  John Q Furry
People whine about not having folders. FA gives people folders. people now whine about how the folders aren't good enough. no pleasing some people i guess.

Ya know, if I told you I would make you dinner, took five hours to do it, and then served you literal shit on a plate, you're allowed to complain. Even if I technically fulfilled my promise of making you dinner.
We tried, we failed.

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • Admin
  • E-points: +79/-35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:23:55 am »
I can sympathize the tiniest bit with them, if only in a 'garbage in, garbage out' sort of way.

To use the cooking analogy, it'd be like opening the cupboard to find the only ingredient you have is canned shit.  The analogy kinda falls apart though b/c of the absurd time periods involved; it'd be like spending 5 hours playing video games (ha!) knowing full well all you have in the cupboard is canned shit instead of going out to buy some new ingredients.

Conan

• E-points: +44/-12
  • \(_o)/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:52:02 pm »
Turns out the initial plan was to launch the new UI at FAU, according to a tweet from August 19th:

We're adding a panel to FAU for FA developments. We'll be launching the new UI officially during the panel, and showing off Mobile!

Which makes it look more like they threw folders together at the last second when they realized the New UI wasn't going to be ready.