Author Topic: Bad Dragon and HERPY.Net  (Read 4266 times)

Anarcho-Loser

• E-points: +10/-3
  • YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
Bad Dragon and HERPY.Net
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:22:51 am »
Please forgive if this is old news, as I didn't see it brought up anywhere on the forums. I saw this a while ago but lost track of it. I figured I would bring it here despite its age in order to make it easier for people to find it in the future instead of having to dig through Tumblr for it.

http://horrificfursuits.tumblr.com/post/125093062585/cannedcowboy-heres-another-reason-why-you

It seems Bad Dragon hosts (once hosted?) and possibly owns Herpy.net, a website dedicated to reptile "lovers". Topics include crocodile penis and crocodile semen.

The site hides behind an content warning and an insistence that they do not condone bestiality.

A supposed mod for the site comments on the Tumblr

"Mod from Herpy.net here. We actually ban active zoophiles and remove bestiality that gets posted. People on Herpy might be attracted to reptiles but we donít tolerate actual acts of bestiality. If you do find any threads or posts containing real life bestiality or illegal discussion, please notify me or one of the other mods so we can remove it."

Yeah, I took a quick stroll through there and I got to say, I gotta disagree with that claim.
We tried, we failed.

rodox_video

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • E-points: +61/-14
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Dragon and HERPY.Net
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:19 pm »
An oldie but a goodie. I think Varka was the site's co-founder, or something like that.

It's a site for "non-practicing" zoophiles, much like CatCollection. Take telephoto pictures of animal junk, collect youtube mating videos, write about stuff you totally did not do, things like that. I'd give them half a point for trying to keep it in their pants, I guess, but of course a lot of the people there are also on the other sites.

Thing is though, a lot of the zoophiles on Herpy are only non-practicing because they can't think of a positive spin to put on the injuries their reptile pets would suffer if they tried to fuck them.
Zeriara is part of a series on Whores.

Anarcho-Loser

• YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:07:22 am »
Did the content of my post disappear for everyone else too?

I figure if a mod cleared it, they would have left something saying so.
We tried, we failed.

Xipoid

• E-points: +0/-0
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:25:08 am »
Did the content of my post disappear for everyone else too?

I figure if a mod cleared it, they would have left something saying so.

It looks totally blank to me.

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • Admin
  • Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +79/-35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:34:27 am »
That's weird, there'd have been an edit message if a moderator had done anything there.

I did have to force an upgrade last night b/c SMF was being douchey but that shouldn't have affected any posts.

I.S.T.

• E-points: +2/-1
  • Uninitiated Rube
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:16:14 am »
I can see your post. You still having the issue?

ProvincialTwit

• Abuse Dept.
  • Admin
  • Postcount killed Trogdor
  • E-points: +79/-35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:36:57 pm »
Eheheheh yeaaaaah that was my fault ahem. fuckin' language settings.

Anarcho-Loser

• YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 09:39:27 am »
Not the first to discover this, but I will post it here just for ease of access.

Today HERPY.NET owner Varka has decided to close the site down.

Quote from: VARKA
Hi everyone,

My nameís Varka, and Iím the owner of and person who has provided hosting to Herpy.

A long time ago, I offered to host a gallery dump for dinosaur and dragon references that needed a home (back in 2006, before dropbox etc). This gallery became known as the Herpy Reference Archive - and expanded and grew. A year or two later, I got distracted by other projects, and was not able to give it the attention it needed - and I passed responsibility off onto other moderators, who have handled the site until today.

Over the nearly 10 years since then, Iíve continued to offer free hosting to Herpy, and unfortunately really didnít take a look into the site in detail for a long, long time. Recently, it was brought to my attention that there was a lot of concerning activity and discussion Iím not altogether comfortable with on the Herpy forums. I wasnít consulted on the selection of the rules that were put in place, or the decisions made on how the site is run - and if I was, I wouldnít have agreed with the rules or some decisions.

In addition, a lot of bugs and technical issues were brought to light, which - combined with the outdated nature of the gallery and forums (the vBulletin forum looks to be about 6 years out of date) - arenít really solvable, except with a complete overhaul and re-implementation of the entire site.

Having looked through some of the content posted over the last few years, and the things which have gone unmoderated or have been overlooked, I sadly donít feel comfortable hosting the site any more - and feel that Herpyís time has come.

As such, as of today, I am sadly shutting down Herpy, and ending this chapter of the siteís life.

I am sorry to all members of the community - this is a tough decision for me to make, but I feel that thereís not a whole lot that can be saved with Herpy in itís current state.

Itís been a great 10 years - and Iím confident that the friendships founded on this site will continue, even without it.

I wish you all the best.

If true, Varka would be admitting to a god tier level of incompetence. The sheer level of neglect and ineptitude to let a site devolve into an outright bestiality board? A issue that could be recognized merely by *logging into your own damn site?* Thats Sean Piche level shit right there. Yet people really think Furry Network will be ran better than Fur Affinity?

Of course, this is all bullshit. Users of this board already know of Varkas extensive connections to numerous zoophiles within and outside of the furry community and we have many scattered topics concerning that. Claims that he had no idea what was going on there are highly unlikely.

What this is, is just an attempt to damage control after his ownership of Herpy made fierce rounds on Twitter, causing many people to say "hell no," to the site while choosing their temporary alternative to FA while it goes through its latest extended outage. Bad Dragon wants a bigger piece of the furry pie and Herpy had just become a hindrance toward that goal.
We tried, we failed.

rodox_video

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 06:49:34 pm »

rodox_video

• Posts like Kage drinks
  • HURF DURF DUH BLUH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 08:19:41 pm »
One of the Herpy moderators isn't too pleased with all this:
The takedown of Herpy.net Valcyrie Thu May 26 15:57:37 2016 ID:MCJ9RUBj No.3366188

Hi everyone!

My name is Valcyrie, and I was a moderator and newly appointed administrator of Herpy.net before the community was ripped from beneath our feet without even as much as a warning.

The accusations against us as a heaven for zoo's and beastiality is completely false, which I will come to explain in this post.

This all started with a former Bad Dragon employee, unhappy with the treatment he/she was given on Bad Dragon Enterprises dug up everything he/she could to slander Bad Dragon and its owner Varka (who also owns and hosts Herpy, e621, FurryNetwork, F-list and a bunch of other sites). In a attempt to do as much damage as possible, this person took some screenshots of posts taken out of context from Herpy.

We on Herpy have never condoned or encouraged beastiality of any kind (unless maybe in some thread thats so old and buried I cant even find it), we have always openly discouraged it. We have recieved posts of people asking about how to safely engage in sexual activities with animals, and those were the ones screencapped. That they were followed by several replies telling the danger of engaging in such activities and that the OP should not do it was completely ignored.

When Varka cought a whiff of this he knew public opinion is hard to sway and he needed to save his reputation. So rather than being honest about it or even being pleased with deleting the threads in question, he went ahead and deleted the entire community in the fraction of a second. None of the members in staff recieved as much as a warning or heads-up, I believe this is because he wanted everyone to move to FurryNetwork anyway. By doing this, he also "confirmed" the accusations against us making us all look like zoo's, essentially making us scapegoats to cover his own ass.

Varka did host Herpy for "free", but he also put a lot of Bad Dragon ads in the gallery, and they did bring a lot of visitors to that site so Herpy did kind of pay for itself.

The site will be back, one way or another, even if we have to start over from a clean slate and even if we have to take a new name.

I just want the truth to be known. I dont like being accused and publically shamed for something I (nor anyone else) ever did.

Anarcho-Loser

• YIFF BLOC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 03:30:14 am »
Oh that makes sense. I was missing the valuable context to fully understand this topic.

And that topic was created in 2012 and still existed as of 4/9/16
We tried, we failed.